History of the Michener House
The Michener House was built in 1894 as the Village of Lacombe Methodist Church Parsonage. Today it is historically significant as the birthplace of Right Honourable Roland Michener, former Governor General of Canada, and as the parsonage of his father, Edward. The house is also historically significant as one of the oldest remaining buildings in Lacombe, and illustrates the important first phase of the town's development. The Michener House is a modest example of typical turn-of-the-century frame building construction.
After the departure of the Michener family, the house passed to successive ministers, was expanded with an addition to the rear in 1918 and subsequently converted for use as a church hall. The church was also used as a hall after the congregation joined with that of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Lacombe to form St. Andrew's United Church in 1922. In later years the church saw service as the Lacombe's Boy Scout Hall, and was finally demolished in 1984.
The Michener House was declared a Provincial Historic Site in 1977 and was restored to its original appearance prior to opening as the Michener House Museum in 1984.
The Michener House Museum displays items from Roland Michener's personal and family collections, furnishings from the turn of the century, the original pump organ from Grace Methodist Church, in addition to the bed that Roland Michener was born in.
The Archives preserve the Michener legacy as well as documents, photographs, and artifacts significant to the Lacombe region and its history. The documents and photographs are accessible to the public by appointment. Digital copies of archival photographs can be obtained at a cost of $10/ each. Please contact the office for more information at (403) 782-3933
Activities & Programming
At the Museum we offer free guided tours and programming for school and community groups. Outside in our lovely garden, we have picnic tables and outdoor space for activities during the summer.