Archives Assistant (Summer Student)
The Archives Assistant will undertake work that assists the Lacombe and District Historical Society in meeting its mission to collect, preserve and interpret the culture and heritage of the Lacombe region.
The Archives Assistant will work with the Lacombe and District Historical Society and the City of Lacombe grow and advance the mutually beneficial Archival Program as part of the Records Management Program.
Typical duties include:
Typical duties include:
· Arrangement, description and indexing of municipal records including photographic collections and cemetery records
· Re-house historic municipal records into archival grade storage supplies, including rearranging shelving, and boxing items for transfer to offsite storage
· Assess the historic value of municipal records within the City’s records management program in preparation of dispositioning records to the Lacombe & District Historical Society Archives
· Assist City’s Records Management & FOIP Coordinator as needed and other duties related to the furthering and advancing of the Society’s mission
The Archives Assistant will also help deliver programs and events at the Museums for special events such as Canada Day and Lacombe Days.
Candidates must meet the eligibility criteria of the Canada Summer Jobs program.
· Physically fit and able to manipulate and move items weighing up to 40 lbs, ability to climb stairs, and ability to sit and work at a computer for longer periods of time is required
· Preference may be given to those with previous archives work experience or education/training, library science education/training, or records management work experience/training
· Familiarity with municipal government and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act is considered an asset
· Possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Possess excellent attention to detail
· Excellent organization skills are required
· Ability to represent the Society in a professional, competent manner
· Work in a multiple task environment
· Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of products, including Access
· Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team
Wage is $15/hour, the term is between June 28th and August 30th for a total of 240 hours.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to the Lacombe & District Historical society electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person/ by mail to the Michener House Museum at 5036 - 51 Street Lacombe, T4L 1W2.
Applications will be accepted until suitable candidates are found. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
We thank all interested applicants!